Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao


Junot Diaz tells this Dominican/American family story told from various first-person accounts. This book was written for me with my fluency in nerd speak and Spanish. Part of it takes place in New Brunswick, NJ where my brother lived for years, and also in the Dominican Republic. Good reminder of the sometimes untranslatable nature of language. This is Junot's first book in 10 years. He needs to write more quickly. --Marcus


Request Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao from the Saint Paul Public Library.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I just read this, too. Most of the nerd speak went right over my head, and I didn't even mind--I think you're right about the untranslatable nature of language, and I liked that Junot didn't try to make it more universally digestible.